The handler of former champ Juanito Rubillar wants him to get a shot with whoever becomes the new World Boxing Council (WBC) light-flyweight champion.
The Philippines' leading promoter Gabriel “Bebot” Elorde Jr. requested WBC president Jose Sulaiman yesterday to give the WBC No. 4 contender Rubillar a chance to fight the winner between top ranked Roberto Vazquez of Panama and No. 2 Jose Antonio Aguirre of Mexico on March 19.
“I will just like to request that the winner of the said fight defend against Juanito Rubillar within ninety days,” said Elorde, who is referring for a fight-date not later than in June.
The Vazquez-Aguirre rumble is set in the “Bring it on” card where People’s champion Manny Pacquiao and former three-division titlist Erik Morales of Mexico clash in the HBO pay-per-view event.
Elorde reminded the Mexican official that the very active 27-year old Filipino southpaw was still ranked No. 3 during the WBC Convention in Phuket, Thailand.
“Juanito on Nov. 27, 2004 won his fight via a first round knockout against a Thai (Samransak Singmanassak) opponent,” said Elorde, as he indirectly shows his dissatisfaction with Rubillar’s demotion in WBC ranking.
Jorge “Travieso” Arce, who inflicted the only two defeats of Rubillar in his last 22 fights since the Filipino failed in the IBF minimumweight bout against defending champ Zolani Pethelo of South Africa in Dec. 1999 in Peterborough, England, vacates the WBC 108-lb title.
Arce will also see action in the March 19 card of Top Rank and M & M Sports, challenging WBC flyweight champ Pongsaklek Wonjongkam of Thailand.
The first fight between Arce and Rubillar on Oct. 2001 was for the interim title while the rematch in September of last year was the Mexican’s 7th title defense.
Rubillar was a former two-division WBC International champion.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE
Send questions and comments to: email@example.com