Mora-Forrest II to support Casamayor-Marquez

07/08/2008

Mora-Forrest II to support Casamayor-Marquez

Press Release: The second fight between Sergio Mora and Vernon Forrest is slated for September 13, 2008 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and verbal barbs are already being exchanged by the combatants. Emotions reached an early peak last week in downtown Los Angeles when the two fighters met at the press conference to officially announce the bout.  After some pointed comments towards each other and an intense stare-down, there is no question that this matter will need to be settled in the MGM Grand Garden Arena ring this September.

Forrest started the banter with some choice words for the champion, "Mora won the first battle, but I'm going to win the war," said Forrest.  "I give him credit for beating me when I was at 45 percent of my ability.  On September 13th, we'll see what he can do with 100 percent of Vernon Forrest.  For anyone who can't wait that long, I'll cut out the suspense – Mora doesn't go 12 rounds with me in the rematch."

Mora, who maintained his composure, responded to Forrest's taunts. "I'm disappointed that Forrest has made this a personal battle, but that will make things even worse for him on fight night," said Mora.  "I was just going to beat him, but now I'm going to have to punish him to show him that my first win wasn't a fluke.  I'm the Super Welterweight Champion of the World and undefeated…that's not going to change on September 13th."

In their first fight on June 7, 2008, Mora, the young star and winner of the first season of the hit series 'The Contender', achieved a lifelong dream by winning his first world title via a hard-fought majority decision over Forrest.  The result was an upset and one which led both fighters to this rematch, a high stakes battle pitting a young champion on the rise against a former two-division champion looking for revenge.  A win for Mora proves that he is no one-hit wonder, while a loss for Forrest could be devastating to his storied career.  It's the type of high-risk fight fans long for, and these two world-class athletes are ready to leave it all in the ring in order to give it to them.

"Their first fight was high drama and I expect even more drama and fireworks the second time around," said Jeff Wald, of Tournament of Contenders, Mora's promoter. "Sergio is a different fighter since he won the title and even though I know Vernon will be coming out with all guns blazing, I don't see Sergio losing for a long, long time."

Gary Shaw, Forrest's promoter responded, "Vernon Forrest is one of the finest boxers of this era, and he will show why on September 13th.  Sergio Mora is a fine young fighter, but Vernon is on another level than he is and we will see him at his spectacular best in this rematch."

Mora-Forrest II is the co-feature bout to the world lightweight championship showdown between Joel Casamayor vs. Juan Manuel Marquez.  The fight is presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Tournament of Contenders, Gary Shaw Productions and Fight Knight, LLC.  The world title bout will take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and will be distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View, beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.

Tickets are on sale and may be purchased at any MGM Grand box office outlet and all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations (select Smith's Food and Drug Centers and Macy's West at the Fashion Show Mall).  Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person.  To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (702) 474-4000.  Tickets also are available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com.

 The Casamayor vs. Marquez pay-per-view telecast, beginning at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT, has a suggested retail price of $44.95, will be distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View and will be available to 71 million pay-per-view homes.  HBO Pay-Per-View is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry.  For Casamayor vs. Marquez fight week updates, log on to www.hbo.com