Earlier today USA Today reported that Bernard Hopkins has reached an agreement in principle with Bob Arum and Top Rank to face Oscar De La Hoya later this year. USA Today also pointed out a couple of things we first hinted of last week. Firstly, as Boxingtalk thoroughly suggested in our exclusive Feb. 11 report, “How Oscar Can Shut Us All Up”, Oscar De La Hoya and Bernard Hopkins could both appear on the June 5 PPV. The plan is for Hopkins to make his mandatory against Robert Allen in the co-feature. In the main event, Oscar De La Hoya would make his middleweight debut probably against WBO titlist Felix Sturm, which should also be far from a surprise to Boxingtalk.com readers. Sturm is slated to face Kingsley Ikeke on March 6th. As of a couple of hours ago Ikeke’s management state that their fight with Sturm is still a go. Should the aforementioned scenario come to fruition, the plan is to have Hopkins and De La Hoya meet later this year should they win their respective June 5th bouts. Just minutes ago, Bernard Hopkins told Boxingtalk.com, “We have an oral agreement with a few details that still need to be ironed out.” Hopkins says he is hopeful the deal gets finalized when he meets with Arum later this week. “When the papers get signed you’ll hear it first on Boxingtalk.com! Until the papers get signed nothing is done.” Top Rank would promote the events (primarily because it would be guaranteeing all of the money) but it wouldn’t be Hopkins’ exclusive promoter, Top Rank would be in association with Anthony Lewis’ Cant Lewz Promotions, which would be representing Bernard Hopkins, and E-X Management. Hopkins will take some time to explain this in the coming days. It should be mentioned that if this deal comes to fruition, Bob Arum would have what he wants more than anything else, and what he appeared to be losing, involvement with Oscar.