Mike "Tension" Nevitt, 10-0 with 5 KOs, will drop down one weight class this Saturday, December 3rd, when he takes on Rocky "The Hawaiian Nightmare" Smith, 13-4 with 11 KOs for the Illinois State light heavyweight championship at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. The eight-round title fight will be promoted by 8 Count Productions and Julio Cesar Chavez.
Under the watchful eye of longtime trainer Sam Colonna, Nevitt spoke of the opportunity to fight Rocky Smith for the Illinois State title. "I feel faster and stronger at 175, facing a guy like Rocky I'll have to be at my best. He's fought better competition and it's a great test for me."
About the timing of this crossroads fight, the 34 year old former two-time World Kickboxing champion (2002, 2005--186 lb. division), the good looking Nevitt said. "This is my time to devote myself 100% to boxing and put the kickboxing off to the side for now. My first ten pro bouts have been at a certain level and Smith presents a real chance to step up the ladder for me."
In closing, Nevitt stated, "It's a great fight for the fans here in Chicago, they've been very supportive of me since I started fighting in the city two years ago and they should see a great fight between me and Rocky. I'm more than ready for this bout." Nevitt's last fight was a third round knockout over Jason Medina on October 14th of this year.
Smith, of Muskegon, Michigan is best known for his nationally televised, ESPN2 broadcast TKO over previously unbeaten Nick Cook on March 19, 2004, an all-out battle which took place at the Sycuan Casino in El Cajon, California. He also knocked out veteran tough guy, Anwar Oshana also on ESPN2 four months later.
Said promoter Dominic Pesoli, president of 8 Count Productions, "Rocky's a tough guy and it's a real step up for Mike. He's fought on our shows four times and we're very happy to present this title fight for our fans who have enjoyed his previous bouts."
The main event of the evening features Ricardo Castillo, 22-2 with 14KOs of Mexicali, Mexico in a ten round super featherweight bout against Hugo Vargas, 11-8-1 with 6 KOs, of Mexico City, Mexico. Castillo is on an eleven-bout winning streak, most recently knocking out Phillip Payne on October 7, 2005. He will be accompanied to the ring by his brother, two-time world champion Jose Luis Castillo. Jose Luis twice fought Diego Corrales this year, avenging the "Fight of the Year" loss this past May by knocking out Corrales last month. In his last bout Vargas won a unanimous decision over Ramon Leyte.
The co-main event features the return of Gilbert Venegas, 9-1-1 with 6 KOs, now fighting out of Chicago. Venegas, will battle Sergio De La Torre, 10-7-1 with 1 KO in an eight round welterweight bout. Venegas is coming off a brutal fifth round TKO of Steve Vincent last month at Cicero Stadium. De La Torre is best known for his nationally televised brawl with contender Jauquin Gallardo on December 13, 2003 in San Francisco, a back and forth war which saw both combatants having success throughout the first seven rounds before Gallardo stopped De La Torre in the eighth.
Heavy handed Chicago prospect Rudy Cisneros, 8-1 (7KO's) will appear in a scheduled six-round bout. Two weeks ago, Cisneros devastated Moises Martinez before a packed Aragon Ballroom with a first round knockout.
Also featured on the undercard is Chicagoland's finest women's boxer, Rita Figueroa, 5-0 (2 KOs). This past September Rita won a six round hard fought decision over Maria Nava. Rita will take on Mercedes Mercury, 3-7, in a six round junior welterweight bout.
Just added to the card is a six round junior middleweight bout between Eric Batista, 3-0, and Rohan "The Beast" Nanton of Brooklyn, NY. Rounding out the undercard is Chicagoan Jose Ortega, 4-0, who will featured in a six round junior welterweight bout. Tickets, starting at $25 are available in advance by calling 312-226-5800. Doors for this special Saturday night show open at 7pm with the first bell at 8pm.