ug-of-war over Castillejo!
Promoters for Vargas and Mayorga both claim Castillejo will fight their
By Scott Shaffer
Things are starting to turn ugly in the tug-of-war over WBC junior
middleweight titlist Javier Castillejo. Main Events wants him to face
Fernando Vargas on August 20, while Don King has him penciled in to
his title against Ricardo Mayorga seven days earlier and both sides
they have reached a deal with Castillejo. The WBC has named Mayorga the
mandatory contender for Castillejo's title despite the fact that in
Mayorga's last fight he was knocked out by Felix Trinidad at
On behalf of Vargas, Main Events filed a demand for arbitration with
Association of Boxing Commissioners last week that challenged the WBC's
decision to make Mayorga the mandatory contender. Today, Main Events
turned up the heat up even further, accusing the WBC of improperly
with Mayorga and King. Patrick English, the attorney for Main Events,
he is in possession of a memo written by WBC president Jose Sulaiman to
Castillejo's manager Ricardo Atocha that threatens to strip Castillejo
unless he signs a contract with King to defend his title against
"These are strong arm tactics and we request you intervene to put a
them," said English in a letter to a WBC attorney named Robert
Back on April 18, English wrote to Jose Sulaiman saying, "we have
agreement for a Castillejo/Vargas title bout." English told Boxingtalk
would not rule out filing a lawsuit.
When informed of English's comments that the WBC is "strong arming"
Castillejo into a Mayorga bout, King said, "That's a goddamned lie! I
signed contract from the man, and I moved the date from July 23 to
just to accomodate HBO. I even got $150,000 in escrow with the WBC.
English is tortiously interfering with my contract." King said he
ruling out a lawsuit either. "I would much rather do business with him,
if I have to go to the mat to protect myself, I will."
Boxingtalk rates Vargas #5 and Castillejo #7 at 154 pounds and Mayorga
160 pounds, the weight he last fought at. According to ABC president
Lueckenhoff, the ABC arbitration will be binding "if all parties
consent." If the parties do not agree to let the ABC decide the issue,
Lueckenhoff wrote that, "the ABC will review the matter with input
from both the WBC and Mr. Vargas, [and] will make a determination and
issue a press release.”