Eddy Reynoso says Canelo Alvarez is a free agent!

By Scott Shaffer

06/11/2020

Eddy Reynoso says Canelo Alvarez is a free agent!

Canelo Alvarez's manager has declared the Mexican superstar to be a boxing free agent. If accurate, the news means that the multi-division champion is free from his contractual obligations to promoter Golden Boy Promotions and broadcast platform DAZN. Alvarez has a $280 million lawsuit pending in a United States federal court against those entities, and manager Eddy Reynoso's announcement made no indication whether a legal settlement had been reached or if Alvarez was trying to move on despite the active litigation. However, ESPN is reporting that Alvarez has obtained a release from Golden Boy and DAZN. Boxingtalk checked the court docket, and there has been no activity for a week, which means there is not yet any public evidence of a settlement.

Reynoso tweeted out the following statement (translated from Spanish): "In my role as manager and coach of Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, I allow myself to communicate to the boxing community and to all our fans, that starting today, November 6th, Canelo becomes a free agent, so we are ready to continue with his boxing career. All this time we have been working very hard in the gym with a lot of responsibility and discipline, to be in great physical shape and ready to fight this year and it will be! We will announce date, rival and place very soon and we will return stronger than ever to keep growing and showing that Mexican boxing is the best."

On October 29th, Alvarez's attorneys filed proof of service of process stating that the seven defendants had finally been served with the proper legal documents on October 21-22. That would make responses to the complaint due in mid-November (unless an extension is given). The seven defendants consist of four DAZN entities, two Golden Boy entities and Oscar De La Hoya, the Golden Boy principal.

Alvarez is suing his promoter, Golden Boy, and the streaming service DAZN for a total of $280 million, including the alleged failure to offer him a $40 million dollar fight this year. The defendants  all indicated they will ask the court to enforce arbitration clauses contained in the two contracts upon which the lawsuit is based. The entire briefing process on the arbitration question will likely take two months. Boxingtalk believes Alvarez is likely to lose the arbitration argument based on the information so far revealed in court files. It would then take at least another month to get the arbitration up and running. The merits of the contractual dispute have not yet even been addressed, only whether the dispute should remain in federal court or be decided in one or more private arbitrations.