A pair of MTK Global Fight Nights from the United Kingdom will be featured this weekend on the ESPN+ streaming service. On Friday, from the historic Ulster Hall in Belfast, Northern Ireland, Steven “The Quiet Man” Ward will face off against Liam Conroy in a light heavyweight ten-rounder. The following day, from Emirates Arena in Glasgow, Scotland, 22 year-old Lee McGregor will make the first defense of his Commonwealth bantamweight title against Scott Allan in a twelve-round showdown. The Ward-Conroy and McGregor-Allan cards will begin at 3 p.m. ET/12 p.m. PT.
Ward (11-0, 4 KOs) will be taking part in only his second scheduled ten-rounder, but he has kept busy in the paid ranks, scoring dominant victories in March and April of this year. He will be taking a big step up in class versus Conroy (17-4-1, 9 KOs), a former English light heavyweight champion who made two defenses of that title. Conroy was knocked out in three rounds in March by top prospect Joshua Buatsi for the vacant British title, but he came back in May to score a second-round knockout over Elvis Dube.
McGregor (6-0, 5 KOs), a 22-year-old from Edinburgh, Scotland, won the Commonwealth title last October with a twelfth-round knockout over Thomas Essomba. He returned last month in a six-round non-title bout, scoring a six-round decision over journeyman Brett Fidoe. Allan (9-3-1, 0 KOs) has won two in a row, most notably defeating Gary Rae (8-0 at the time) via unanimous decision to pick up the Celtic bantamweight belt.
Friday’s stream will feature the following bouts:
• Darragh “Super” Foley (17-3-1, 9 KOs) will battle fellow southpaw Tyrone McKenna (18-1-1, 6 KOs) in a ten-rounder at 140 pounds. McKenna has won two in a row since a competitive decision loss to Jack Catterall, while Foley has won two straight since a points loss to Akeem Ennis-Brown.
• Welterweight Liam Wells (5-0, 2 KOs) will take a giant step up in class versus Paddy Gallagher (15-5, 9 KOs) in an eight-rounder.
• Belfast native Lewis Crocker (8-0, 6 KOs) will aim for his second win in as many months against the rugged Karim Aliliche (11-8-2, 2 KOs) in an eight-round welterweight tilt.
Saturday’s stream will also include:
• Scotland’s Kieran Smith (14-0, 7 KOs) will be in a 154-pound ten rounder vs. Mexican veteran Ivan Montero (21-3, 9 KOs).
• In an eight-round junior welterweight contest, Lewis “Kid Caramel” Benson (11-2, 2 KOs) will face longtime spoiler Renald Garrido (24-23-3, 6 KOs).
• Junior welterweight Craig MacIntyre (10-0-1, 3 KOs) will fight veteran Chris Adaway (9-56-4, 1 KO) in a six-rounder