CAMPILLO TO HEADLINE SEPTEMBER NBC SPORTS SHOW
Press Release: Gabriel Campillo, (21-4-1 with 8 KOs), [who was screwed out of the IBF light heavyweight tile via bad decision in favor of Tavoris Cloud], will take on Russia's tough Sergey Kovalev (18-0-1 with 16 KOs), on Friday, September 21st when NBC Sports' boxing series returns to the Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Campillo of Madrid was last seen in February losing a razor-close highly controversial split decision to Cloud in [the corrupt state of] Texas. In 2010 Campillo lost another disputed decision to current IBF Light Heavyweight title holder Beibut Shumenov in Las Vegas. Last year he drew with Karo Murat in a title eliminator in Murat's adopted home of Germany.
"Campillo has arguably beaten two world champions and the number one contender without receiving the decisions," said promoter Kathy Duva of Main Events. "After he stopped Darnell Boone on NBCSN in June, Kovalev stated that he is ready to fight for the world title. On September 21st he will get the opportunity to prove to the world that he is worthy in a very tough fight. A win for Campillo would put him right back into the title picture."
Campillo's promoter, Sampson Lewkowicz said, "Campillo is very happy about this fight. This is well deserved. He got robbed in his last 3 - 4 fights." Lewkowicz added, "Campillo will spend the next two months training very hard with manager Sergio Martinez and trainer Pablo Sarmiento. He is a very tough fighter. This will be a great fight and I guarantee that no one in that arena will know who the winner will be until the end."
Also on the show, welterweight Ronald Cruz of Bethlehem (17-0 with 12 KOs) faces Antwone Smith (21-4-1 with 12 KOs), in a classic crossroads match-up. On June 1st, Cruz won a unanimous twelve-round decision over Prenice Brewer. Smith is a walk-in styled fighter like Cruz and this fight promises to be a boxing fan's contest.